Friday, June 10, 2011

Sharing ideas

This blog originated on June 10, 2011 for the purpose of sharing ideas among persons who have an Indiana Pouch.

I am a pediatrician and underwent total cystectomy (urinary bladder removal) because of cancer in March, 2010.
During the past year I have learned from various sources as well as trial and error how to return to a relatively normal life, how to avoid leaks and infection, and how to make emptying the pouch a simple routine, even for travel.

I plan to post a new message every Sunday, to include one tip per week.
This Sunday's tip: Arrange for your physician to prescribe one-time-use catheters. Medicare will provide 180 per month as well as 180 packets of lubricating gel. Re-using catheters will almost guarantee eventual infection of the pouch.

3 comments:

  1. Dr. G,
    Way to go! Great blog. What a great resource for others'. Thank you for doing this!
    I will definitely pass this on to anyone who could benefit from this useful information.
    Karen Krause RN, CWOCN

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Caryn,
    Thanks for your encouragement and for your e-mail suggestion. I'd be happy to set up a group contact list and notify them after each new post, which I will write every Sunday.
    My e-mail address is drphil@stoneagedoc.com.

    ReplyDelete